It is related to safavi time which has been recorded as Iran`s national monument. Jacob church or Saint james church is the oldest one in Isfahan.
It was built in 1607. The initial plan was a cross-shaped church, but due to the destruction of the south side in 1843 AD, it became a rectangle in east to west with a dimension of 2/12 in 9/3. Three small domes and its roof are relied on arches, located on wide columns connected to the north and south walls.
The central dome is relatively larger. Materials used are brick and adobe. The interior walls are covered with plaster and exterior walls with thatch. Over the main entrance to church, there are two inscriptions in Armenian related to 1607AD. In 1613, Saint Mary church was built around this church.
Currently Jacob church is located on the north side of Saint Mary`s church. After Vank church it has the largest area. Saint Mary`s church is the second old church in Isfahan. In 1613 AD, during the safavi`s time it was built by a trader called “Avdic Babakian”
The church has beautiful paintings on the walls. On the north and south walls there are two paintings, that is the work of a Venetian skilled artist, presented by Mr.Grak related ...see more to 300 hundred years ago.
Because the church has been called Mary, women were more likely to go to church. In the past, groups of girls and woman from the Julfa neighborhood came to church on Wednesdays.
On Wednesday before Easter, some came to church barefoot to take part in Mary`s pleasure and happiness.
In 1848 AD, the bell tower house , was built in the western part and above the church entrance, adjacent to the south side of the building , a chapel called ”Stephanos” was built.